Friday, April 6, 2012

Encounter

I really want to know how the crap people keep finding me! I'm not exactly light on the stealth. Though I guess these days all she'd need to do would be follow those police reports I mentioned...

In any case, I got a present today. Out in the middle of the street, in the middle of town. Ryuu found me. As I mention, I've no idea how. But she did. I didn't even recognize her until she was walking away-there is video of her on the blog, but it's been a while and I wasn't expecting her, of all people. Not after all the fighting between Mitch and I.
I suppose that's why she did show up, though. Walked right up to us in a parking lot, clutching Mitch's washer necklace. I whirled, shifting to get ready for a fight, but all she did was shift it in her hand to grab it by a specific one.
"You were wrong. On all counts." She told me quietly, handing me the necklace. I took it, noticing the dried blood remaining on the thing. When I looked up to ask what the fuck was going on, she shook her head. "I'm so sorry."
Ryuu then bolted, leaving me to shout. "I'm sorry too!" back after her.

After a lot of thought, I've put it on.  I can't do the same for my own kills, it would require a much longer chain and be heavy enough to probably cause issues. But it feels... right. Respectful, somehow. I mean. I hated Mitch for what she did to Star. For how she attacked me, even when I was trying to make some sort of peace. But probably most...
Mostly because her situation terrified me because I've never really been more than one bad day from where she is. All it would take would be one misstep, letting him have even the slightest foothold in my mind. And then I'd be stuck, just like Michelle.
We had so much in common. In our fight for independence, we lost so many people we cared about. I was always so scared of looking in the mirror to see what peered back at me. I fight so hard, I have been this whole time. To not just survive, just barely keeping out of slender's grasp, but to /live/. To regain what he's stolen, as Cam helped me to do, and reclaim my feelings, my personality, and to regain the ability to function like a real person.
But he calls. And he'll never, ever stop, and eventually he'll find a way in. And then it's only a matter of time. Watching Mitch and Spencer go down...
I can't deny that anymore.

I've arranged to give custody of Emily to a friend. Someone she already knows and adores. It's not safe for her to be with me, I was stupid to ever think otherwise.

11 comments:

  1. Hooray! That's the right decision for once. Too bad you probably won't get a chance to pass her off, especially if you keep getting distracted by these other folks.
    And would that friend be Benjamin? He's the only one I can think of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've visited a lot of people since Emily started travelling with me, I assure you it's not that simple.
      And getting approached for twenty seconds while getting food and trying to plot our next move is hardly getting distracted.

      Delete
    2. That's good, then. If it was simple enough for me to figure out, then it would be simple enough for your divers enemies.

      Delete
    3. *diverse
      If you're gonna be correcting their typos...

      Delete
    4. Nope. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/divers?s=t There's your educational moment of the day.

      Delete
    5. Ugh. Blogger, stop trying to justify comments. That looks awful.

      Delete
    6. Ah. Well, that's what I get for pretending to be educated.

      Delete
  2. At least you're trying to think of Emily, and do what's right for her.

    ReplyDelete